Workshop Controller - Ely
At Volvo Truck and Bus we believe our employees are our greatest assets to enable us to deliver excellent service to our customers. Our culture promotes training and development to help individuals reach their career goals, positive working relationships between staff and managers where ideas are valued.
We have a rare opportunity for an experienced Workshop Controller to join our Ely dealerpoint.
As a key member of the dealer management team, the Workshop Controller’s core role is to proactively manage the process from “planning, through to on arrival” to “Invoice / Claim” closure. Ensure that CSR’s and Technician Supervisors are working in line with the standard OTI process. Ensuring that service and repair work is completed to time and quality standards and all invoice & claim documents are complete and accurate.
Managing customer expectations, job profitability and workshop productivity targets will be a daily focus to ensure that workshop profitability is optimised. Alongside motivation & personal development of the team, effective competence development, succession planning and dealing with employee issues on a day to day basis.
Main Tasks / Responsibilities / Authorities
- Provide focussed management to the service department team, to ensure Genuine Volvo Service process steps are adhered to at all times.
- Carry out regular process reviews with your Dealerpoint Manager to identify operational issues / discrepancies and ensure appropriate follow up actions are taken to rectify.
- Manage the performance of the service department to ensure that KPI targets are achieved.
- Manage and plan workshop / support resources to ensure that OTI process requirements can be fulfilled on each shift.
- Support the CSR / Workshop Supervisor as required ensuring job specification, codification and quoting preparation tasks are completed on a timely basis.
- Support the CSR as required ensuring that invoice / claiming closure tasks are accurate and completed on a timely basis.
- Assist & provide support to CSR / Workshop Supervisors in specification / codification of non-standard, complex jobs and ensure all such work is agreed with customer before starting.
- Manage hand over of complex or potentially contentious jobs (invoices, claims) to ensure full buy-in and agreement from customer (Retail or Internal.)
- Hold daily production meetings to Plan workload and resources, Review identified issues from previous shift and identify appropriate solutions consistent with standard OTI process requirements.
- Anticipate production problems based on forward plan / resources and provide active support to handle workload.
- Monitor staff performance versus standard role requirements and personal objectives and identify areas for development (using the PBP process.)
- Perform periodic competence assessments using agreed process for all staff within area of responsibility and produce plans to address competence issues.
- Ensure appropriate training and support is provided on a timely basis to bridge competency gaps identified.
- Actively participate in the Dealerpoint’s Commercial Crew CRM meetings following the CRM process.
- Manage & process productive wage submission on a monthly basis.
- Plan, report and control all lost & non available hours in line with budget KPI.
- Assist the Dealerpoint Manager in the production of the annual business plan.
- Work in accordance with Volvo Group UK standards of health, safety, quality and environmental care.
- Any other duties that may be reasonably requested by your manager.
Education / Professional Qualifications required for the position:
- Experience of working within the motor vehicle industry, preferably a technical background from working within a commercial workshop.
- Full knowledge of VOSA requirements and MOT testers manual.
- Knowledge / experience of leading teams.
- Knowledge of workshop KPIs.
Additional important requirements:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint & Excel.
- An understanding of Operators Licence Laws and Regulations.
- Presentation skills.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive Salary negotiable depending on experience
25 days’ holidays plus bank holidays
Contributory pension scheme (up to 5%)
Health Care Cash Plan
Plus other benefits including childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, friend and family discount on Volvo & Renault cars
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus, Sunwin Bus and Volvo Penta.
The Volvo Trucks brand has been built up over decades and enjoys a solid position worldwide. It is one of the world’s best known and respected brands within the commercial vehicle industry. It is associated with the core values quality, safety and environmental care. With Volvo Trucks you will be part of a global and diverse team. We work with passion, we trust each other and we embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.